Cigarette pants, also known as pencil pants, are stove pants or slim-fit pants.
Usually, they are slender tailored trousers with a snug fit across the legs and are usually one or two inches above the ankles. Cigarette pants have a straight gap at the foot rather than a tapered or flared hem instead of other trousers.
In the 1950s, these pants became popular and were adored both by men and women. They were later replaced in the ’60s with flared pants.
You will now see Cigarette Pants in casual, classic, ethnic, and chic styles. These tailored, slim fit ankle pants are suitable for wearing at work or styled differently for a trendy outfit at night.
Cigarette jeans, like Skinnies, work across butt and thighs, but they’re not tapered as much as wrists. They hold the same shape under the knees, not as fit as the straight-legged jean, but more like the love child between the skinnies and straight ones.
Cigarette cutting is a style from direct to skinny. They have a snug fit, but with a tight hem, they’re straight. Perfect for females with a small body. Cigarette jeans have a slim silhouette and are cut directly from knee to ankle (like a cigarette), usually ankle-length. Ankle-long pants finish just above or below elbow bone.
List of Contents
Cigarette Jeans compared to Slim-fit Jeans
Although cigarette jeans are cut specifically from knee to ankle, skinny jeans follow the line and fit snugly from hip to ankle. Cigarette jeans are slim fit jeans not tapered and usually made from mid-weight denim.
Skinny jeans are simply a dress that clings to your skin, with more Lycra in the manufacturing process. The silhouette is the fundamental distinction. As the name suggests, skinny jeans suit the entire body length, making them more stretchable.
Cigarette jeans are narrow under the knee but don’t match the body. The easiest way to understand the silhouette is to picture the cylindrical pants below your knee like a cigarette.
Ways to Wear Cigarette Pants
Cigarette pants are a narrow, straight style of pants made common in the 1950s and 1960s by celebrities such as Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe. Owing to the unusual cut and length of the cigarette pants, it can be difficult to know how to wear them. Luckily, below are some of the many ways you can look amazing in a pair of cigarette pants, no matter what the reason.
Keep in mind, and this will be one hell of a list, so don’t you dare skip one tip!!
1. Looking for a Flattering Fit
Go with a pair that’s just above your ankle -The main stand-out feature of cigarette pants is the bottom hem section. Make sure you get a pair of pants with the right length. It would help if you touched the bottom of each pant leg right at the top of your ankle — no longer, no shorter.
- If your cigarette pants are too long but otherwise fit properly, try to keep them back.
- The trousers should stop fitting snugly to the knee.
- The fabric should lie smoothly and flat on your skin above the knee. The material should adhere to your leg’s form, but it shouldn’t be so tight that you can’t sit or squat easily.
Choose the form-fitting pants – Cigarette panties are supposed to be reasonably small. Get a pair that fits comfortably close to your body instead of a loose or baggy pair. Bear in mind that the trousers should be tailored around the bottom of the pants leg. Although there are several styles of pants at this point, cigarette pants don’t.
Try cigarette pants with bold information if you’re tall – If you think you’re taller than normal, pants with some interesting detail might be flattering. Go for a pair of cigarette pants with a discreet cuff on the bottom hem, a bright, embroidered patch near 1 of the front pockets, or embellished back pockets.
The fit of cigarette pants complements the high frame well and helps you to get away with bolder design elements.
Go for a pair with vertical elements if you’re a little girl – Vertical elements may help to lengthen your legs. If you’re a little girl, try to find a cigarette pant with front pleats or pinstripes. It’s also really necessary for you to get a pair that’s form-fitting. Otherwise, your trousers will swallow your legs and look bulky.
If you’re curvy, get structured or stretchy pants – Find a cigarette pant made of at least part of a structured cloth, such as tropical fur, or stretchy clothing, such as spandex. In addition to enhancing the pants’ comfort, these materials should allow the pants to hug and complement your curves well.
2. Work Outfit
Opt for neutral and classic cigarette pants – The workplace isn’t the perfect place to debut pants in bright colors, busy designs, or odd styles. Stick with black, navy, and khaki shades. Go with pants for workwear, as this style looks formal and elegant.
Wear a long-sleeve button-up trousers shirt – A long-sleeve collared button-up adds some immediate class that is easy and workplace-friendly. Consider wearing a solid cigarette pant with a solid light blue or white button-up for a classic, clean look.
- Match a crisp red button-down with black trousers for a color pop.
- Go black-down and black cigarette pants monochrome for a chic vibe.
- Wear a textured dress shirt with navy cigarette pants and a navy blazer to make your work style enjoyable.
- Pair some black pumps with red or orange cigarette pants, a solid white dress shirt, and a black blazer to look bolder.
- Pair black flats with matching trousers and a cream-colored silk top for a trendy look. Attach a tailored black blazer to bring together.
- Contrast your jewelry intensity to look elegant and trendy. You are using a plain, solid-colored shirt and blazer as your statement piece. Alternatively, wear a bright, multicolored top with a white or yellow gold designer watch.
Sport a blazer for your suit – To mix in a more structured work setting, throw a nice blazer. Choose a blazer that suits your pant color, like black, if you wear black pants, or light brown if your pants are tanned.
Match any neutral close-toed pumps – Heels are suitable at work and look fantastic with cigarette pants. Opt for close-toed black or nude pumps to update your work wardrobe. A smaller heel, like a 2-inch (5.1 cm) heel, is the most suitable work option.
Wear ballet flats as a simple alternative – If flats are more your style, choose a plain, solid-colored ballet flat to wear with your trousers. Black or nude-colored flats go with almost everything. Either wear a plain, embellishment-free pair or go for a pair with a polished, subtle detail like a small bow near the toe area.
Go on the jewelry – Wearing 1-2 smaller pieces of jewelry can dress up an outfit, but too much jewelry or jewelry can make it more casual. Wear easy rings and earrings for only 1 statement item, such as a traditional necklace or a trendy watch.
3. Creating a Casual Outfit
Go for convenient paint patterns – Pants made of flowy, stretchy or soft material are perfect for casual looks. They’re comfortable and wearable. Free color experimentation! Black is always classic, but you might try violet, orange, or eye-catching patterns!
Put on a small white shirt or graphic tee – One of the easiest ways to dress up a cigarette pant is to get loose and relaxed. Choose a scoop neck or v-neck tee, or wear your favorite graphic T-shirt. These choices give off a more relaxed vibe with your cigarette pants.
- If you have black cigarette pants, wear them with a colorful graphic tee to bring the outfit together.
- If your pants are purple, blue, or another bold hue, pick a simple white shirt and some neutral-colored canvas shoes. Alternatively, wear canvas shoes matching your pants’ bold hue.
- Black Converses with black cigarette pants and a white shirt.
- Wear a tailored brown, khaki-colored cigarette jacket. Complete the look with a matching brown leather backpack.
- Wear a solid cream scoop neck shirt, solid black cigarette pants, and a sleek black brogues pair with your denim button-up.
Wear canvas shoes to be relaxed – Canvas shoes can combine your laid-back cigarette pant outfit. Put a pair of Converse All-Stars, Vans, or Keds in a color that suits your style and suits your shirt and pant color well.
Add a sporty look with a bomber jacket and backpack – If it’s a little cooler outside, throw a bomber jacket over your basic tee and put on a sporty backpack to add elegance to your casual look.
Wear a long button-up for casual style. If you don’t want to go super casual but still want a simple, comfortable look, throw on a long-sleeve, oversized denim shirt. This looks best with a simple shirt, a pair of plain white sneakers.
4. Wearing Your Pants Out at Night
Sleek, bold style experiment – You have the color and fit, while classic black will still look elegant for a night out. Bright white will look amazing with the top right. Explore different material choices like leather to create an edgy vibe, or silk to look elegant.
Put a solid-colored stop top matching your jeans – If you want to wear your cigarette pants to a fancy and fun bar, club, or anywhere else, go for a slightly loose, billowy, classy halter top. This should help match your form-fitting cigarette pant.
- Choose solid black cigarette pants and a solid black top for convenience.
- If you feel more daring, try adding a more vivid color, such as a red fire engine.
- Throw some black or brown leather ankle boots to complete your look.
- This outfit is great for winter eating or watching movies.
- For example, if you wear a coral and gold chunky necklace, wear a solid coral handbag.
- Alternatively, wear a neutral black or brown purse with an interesting structural feature like tassels.
- Stick to 1 specified jewelry per outfit to make the most effect. If you stack several items, the results will look above.
Rock high-heel open-toe – Wear cigarette pants with matching pumps. Now is the time to split those strappy, open-toed, 3–4 in (7.6–10.2 cm) heels. Since the pants are just a little shorter than most other models, your favorite fancy heels can be your outfit’s focus.
Go comfortable with sweaters and ankle boots– Wear a multicolored sweater that suits your personal style. Pair your top with either black cigarette pants or another solid-colored pair matching a sweater color.
Bright, solid-colored handbag – Switching your plain, neutral-colored bag for a lighter, bolder one helps take the outfit from daytime to night. Choose a bright bag like teal or silver and fit it to your accessories.
Choose eye-catching jewelry to claim – Sparkling comments are great for nights out! If you’re attending a classy dinner party, select elegant jewels like a diamond drop necklace or tennis bracelet. If you’re going out somewhere glamorous, like a dance club, go for something flashier — a rhinestone choker or cocktail ring under the lights.
This has been a really long list to read, but I hoped that it has reached everyone and was able to have a realization if cigarette pants are good for you or not. For me personally, pants like these don’t fit my physical appearance. I looked ridiculous when I wore one of these before, and it was not a pleasant experience for me.
Our world is a vast place for us to take a tour, leading us to many different cultures and people. The same thing with fashion, there is a lot to choose from, and it can be not very clear for some which style fits their personality and physical appearance.
You have to see what fits you and if you look good with that outfit. People will criticize you, and some will find joy in shaming you to others. Might as well stick to what defines you and show to the world who you are.