I have not been into fashion ever since I was a kid. Being a woman who didn’t like getting dressed up as a woman, my mother thinks something is wrong with me. I am not gay, I am straight to clear that part, but this is one of those days.
Although I realized that clothing is a necessity that everyone needs, it helps cover one skin from the sun’s heat to any extreme weather conditions. There is no specific time about when clothing was born. It was for the sole purpose of covering one’s physical appearance and private parts.
Today, our clothing signifies our humane habits as a higher being. We have evolved far from that of our ancestors in using animal skin, grass, leaves, etc.
So, the evolution went on until the realm of “fashion,” which is now a big trend worldwide, gave birth to a new era. To some countries, they consider fashion as a sacred art of expressing one’s feelings. For me, I have another meaning for style.
My fashion concept is different. Fashion currently wears what’s popular. I share trends that make me feel optimistic and excited. For example, a new coat seems to be everywhere in everything. So my closet and living space represents the trend.
Clothing helps to keep people prepared for whichever they face in their life. But fashion helps to keep up with the crazy changes we all face to be ready for whatever life takes us.
In this article, we will be discussing on how clothing and fashion affect our lives. We will also learn how people perceive us of what we wear.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s get trendy, ladies and gentlemen!
List of Contents
- How Important are Fashion and Clothing?
- So Why Do We Need Clothes?
- What are the Disadvantages of Fashion?
- What are the benefits of clothing?
- Does fashion make personality?
- Why do you wear fashionable clothes?
- Can clothing tell you much about a person?
How Important are Fashion and Clothing?
Clothing and fashion are more like a first impression sort of thing. Think about it; the first time you look at a person’s face, what will be your first impression? We sometimes think “he has a dark aura around him” because of how his face looks when he is not smiling. That doesn’t judge a person’s character at all.
He may have that kind of look on his face, but the way he dresses is different from what you first thought about him. Every piece of clothing we buy represents a personal preference, a fragment of who we are. When you choose bright fashion designs, it means you as a cheerful person. When you choose dark colored fashion style, it may represent a dark moment in your life or a rock band fan. Choosing our clothing and fashion falls into a lot of categories.
You may not know this, but fashion itself can also be a form of communication in its cute simple way. Sometimes our clothes say it all, and we don’t have any idea what it’s telling other people.
So being able to dress up accordingly will decide how other people will see you. If you don’t care how you look, people will not care what they say about you.
So Why Do We Need Clothes?
To be able to move forward to an advanced lesson, we sometimes need to know the basic stuff. Clothing protects against the heat of the sun and provides warmth during cold seasons. To add to that thought, people also wear clothing for functional and social reasons.
Who doesn’t want to look smart when you go to a business meeting or look good when you go out on a romantic date, right? Everybody wants to look presentable to the people they are meeting up with. When you look good, you gain respect, and that creates a boost of confidence to oneself.
The dress also has specific cultural and social significance. For example, it is terrible to show other parts of the body’s anatomy in many cultures, especially the private parts.
Thus, clothes act as a method to hide the particular areas of a person’s body from the rest of the world. Religion, customs, and important special circumstances have shaped how different people feel about clothing and exposure at different times.
Moreover, clothing was considered one of the best ways to distinguish social classes, genders, occupation, marital status, and ethnic or religious affiliation.
What are the Disadvantages of Fashion?
Like any other, fashion has its disadvantages. There has been no difference from the old fashion to the new fashion trend through the time that has passed. There are times that the trend repeats itself with minimal changes. What differs is the innovation towards the production method of modern clothes. The manufacturing of today’s fashion materials has been upgraded. Compared to the old fashion, which had limited source technology.
Fashion can also mean “superficial you,” often removed from the “real you.” So, there might be some fashion drawbacks when you are too addicted to it.
Here are some of fashion’s disadvantages described below.
Disadvantages of Fashion
- Falsification – the pursuit of fashion can lead you to false acts. There are times that when people follow fashion, it can cause misrepresentation or change to defraud others. Thus causing chaos in society and can even threaten peacefulness.
- Build up hatred – In the eyes of others, worrying a lot about superficiality hatches hate in one’s mind and to others as well.
- Waste of money – to be able to be in the trend, you have to spend thousands of money, which may not be reasonable.
- Waste of time – it takes a lot of time to put on makeup to look like someone you are not.
- Waste of effort – you could have done something better with your time.
- Foolish thinking – you start giving importance to something useless instead of giving importance to yourself and your family.
- Rational slavery – caring so much of how others perceive you cause you to forget what matters.
- Feeble bonds – relationships forged by outside appearance can crumble.
- Shame – when you meet the real you, fashion cannot save you from your embarrassment.
- Dismay others – being on top of fashion will let you know that you are rich, but what happens if the expectation is met short?
These are some of the known disadvantages in keeping up with fashion that causes one individual. Don’t pursue or pretend to be someone you’re not; fashion is not a tool for you to become someone else. Style is a way for you to express yourself with what you have and who you are.
Despite all that, fashion is not all that bad. It has its own benefits when it’s used correctly. Never forget that our parents always told us to wear the proper outfit for every occasion.
Here are some of the good benefits of fashion when worn correctly.
Advantages in Fashion
- Get acknowledged – not going against the norm; people will accept you.
- Respected by all – when you use to fashion the right way, you will earn others’ trust.
- Implements creativity – the desire to stand out can also implement to create new ideas.
- Creates individuality – with the right fashion in use, you can establish and express your individuality.
- Boosts confidence and self-esteem – choosing the right fashion that fits your personality can increase your whole being.
- Lose and maintain weight – one truth be told, if you want to wear that outfit, you have to stay fit and healthy.
- Influence others – when others see you with a lively style and the right fashion, you may inspire other people to do the same.
- Feel comfortable – always choosing the right outfit and not going against the norm can feel comfortable.
- Inspire friendship – keeping in tract with famous fashions can be a plus in interacting with good people.
You see, it is not all that bad. All we need is to be able to choose from right or wrong fashion.
What are the benefits of clothing?
This part right here is explanatory to all. Of course, there is a benefit when it comes to clothing. You will not be afraid to hang out with friends, because your clothes can hide that scar on your tummy and any other parts of your body.
Having proper clothing can create a boost of a positive first impression to one person. When a person is confident enough, they will interpret things more positively and enthusiastically.
Aside from the fact that clothing protects the body from any foreign objects, it also boosts a person’s perception of themselves.
Does fashion make personality?
I would say yes! Why? You get dressed every day, take a bath every morning when you wake up, brush your teeth, blend a coffee, and so many more. If it was me, when I miss out on any of my routines, I get cranky.
Like fashion, which links to personality traits, gives a good understanding of what the person thinks about and reduces his personality. Personalities have a great, great responsibility; they represent the individual’s wholeness.
As you have come across, your way of fashion dictates the kind personality you have. Sometimes, how you dress can affect you on certain occasions, like how your mood affects your style and how you treat people.
In simple and understandable terminology, when you wear old dirty clothes, what happens to your mood?
Why do you wear fashionable clothes?
Most people today tend to wear various clothing types. Contrary to the early years, many shops have increased, and shoppers have also increased relative to previous years.
I agree that wearing trendy clothing is a positive thing as it can make a person more desirable and professional. I’ve seen the world today that clothes play an important role in the picture of a person’s integrity and respect.
People with stylish clothes only consider reputable people in society today. As a result, I have seen people wearing elegant clothes even in some shops have more attention than others from service officers. Therefore in this culture, having nice clothes is very important.
However, wearing fashionable clothes can be a bad thing as well. If a person doesn’t know what else to wear in which circumstance, it can negatively impact. For example, if a person is trying to wear fancy clothes in a funeral position, it is not suitable. So any cloth should also be worn according to the occasion.
Can clothing tell you much about a person?
This is a topic with no definite answer. When you ask this question to other people, they will normally say, “yeah, it does.” Still, when you think about it, there is no one hundred percent assurance that whatever clothing I am wearing will define the kind of person I am.
The attire does not tell you anything about the person. Personalities and fame are not expressed by what they are wearing. For example, a wealthy person does not have to dress an inexpensive clothing line, and a needy person does not have to dress in baggy clothes.
A mediocre person may look raggy, but their personality can be optimistic even though they look contrary to what they wear. The clothing is only the aspect, and you can not decide the person by their appearance alone, because it is just like judging the book by its cover.
Clothes and fashion go side by side. They compensate for each other’s purpose and function. Indeed, you can sometimes tell someone how they feel based on what they wear. Sometimes, what we wear can be misleading and can result in misunderstanding someone.
When a person wears all black and has piercings, we sometimes perceive them as rebellious or crazy. On another way around, when a girl wears something revealing, it could mean something else in such a way.
On the contrary, I think it describes their attitudes and what they like to do in some way. One way you can predict how a person is in their clothes may be in some situations, you can be wrong, but, in most cases, a person’s clothes can say a lot.