For one reason or another, one gets their leather wallets wet. We always make the mistake of using the dryer after. This should not be the case. Giving a leather wallet a spin in the dryer has its negative effects on the wallet. It brings a wrinkling effect within the wallet’s hide. And this is something we don’t want to happen. What’s worse is that this is something that you can no longer fix.
Imagine going home from work. The rain pours while on your way to the train station.
Not that you mind the rain. But the problem with getting soaked is your gadgets and your other things.
Whether it was a downpour or an accidental pour of water, a wet leather wallet is always a hassle. Drying it is more of a problem, actually.
But when one gets the leather wallet wet, there is always a chance to maintain the wallet to all its former glory. There will always be ways to retain the quality and the hide of the leather wallet. Putting it inside the dryer is not one of those ways.
Now, when one has his or her wallet wet, how do you dry it?
Read on to find out.
The first thing to do is to wipe the wallet clean. The goal is always to wipe the leather wallet dry.
When doing so, use a clean cloth. After wiping it clean, allow the leather wallet to dry naturally. It should dry at room temperature.
Also, make sure that when drying, you should keep the wallet closed. This is applicable for bifold wallets.
Never keep it open. Doing so will no longer have the wallet lay flat when folded.
Retain its Shape
Now, when a wet leather wallet dries, the tendency is that it appears to have changed its shape.
There is a way for you to retain its original shape. What you can do is insert a credit card on both sides of the billfold.
This is critical. And timing is of utmost importance when doing this.
This should only happen after leaving the leather wallet to dry for about an hour. Doing so too soon will have adverse effects. When you do this too late, the act may no longer be as effective.
It is important to insert these cards on both sides after an hour.
Leather Wallets and Extreme Heat
One of the most important things to remember is that leather wallets do not fare well with extreme heat.
As you already may know, extreme heat causes some wrinkling in the hides.
And when the leather is already wrinkled, you can no longer do something about it. Either you live with a wrinkled leather wallet, or you buy a new one.
And so, going back, do not blow dry your leather wallet. The same is true with dryers. Never dry your leather wallet in the dryer.
You’ll regret it.
So, when you accidentally wet your leather wallet, it is not the end of the world. You can always do something to salvage that good old wallet. One should never immediately think of buying a new one simply because the one you have is drenched.
As long as you know how to dry it, this should never be a problem.
And remember, when it comes to drying, excessive heat is a villain.
What are the other ways to fix a leather wallet that has been washed?
There are other common things at home we can use to fix a leather wallet that was accidentally washed. One of the things you need would be a clean cloth. You also need to have a dab or so of olive oil. And finally, get yourself a leather conditioner. Once the wallet is finally wiped clean and dried, use a leather conditioner. It can help to restore the leather’s natural flexibility.
When you accidentally washed your leather wallet, it may seem like it’s the end of everything in life.
However, this should not be the case. One can always follow a few simple steps to fix this.
Follow these few simple steps. Through this, you can prevent your leather wallet from getting damaged permanently.
We taught you earlier about the most basic way to alleviate the effects of a wet leather wallet. Here is another way to do it.
First off, what you need would be a dab or so of olive oil. Then, it would be best if you also had a piece of clean cloth. Finally, one should always have a leather conditioner handy.
Here are the steps:
Before you allow the wallet to dry, make sure to wipe the wallet clean. This is the same step as the previous method.
Make sure that the cloth is clean.
Wiping it down with a clean cloth will get rid of harmful chemicals. When you are doing this, make sure that you get the wallet rid of debris.
Let It Dry
The next step, as you already know, is to dry it out.
But as earlier discussed, it is actually advisable to hang the wallet in a closed position. Let it dry for many hours. In fact, if you can let it air dry for about 12 hours, please do.
One more thing is to leave it in a place without too much heat. Make sure that the room has a good amount of airflow.
Now, some wallets are of oil-based types of leather.
Should this be the case, make sure that you use olive oil. If olive oil is not available, you can always use any type of high-quality oil. This should be able to condition the leather.
What you can do is rub the oil into the leather. Do this vigorously. Do this thoroughly. Make sure that no corner of the leather wallet is left untouched.
This should ensure that the totality of the wallet will be conditioned. The oil, when used, will prepare the wallet. This should also ensure that it maintains the wallet’s flexibility.
Here’s another option.
What you can do is skip the oiling step. You can use a leather conditioner on the wallet.
Like with rubbing oil, you have to ensure that the leather conditioner gets to all the wallet corners. Rub it evenly. Rub it thoroughly.
How do you clean a leather wallet?
There are different ways by which you can clean a leather wallet. But what is most recommended is doing it by hand. When one uses the washing machine to clean a wallet, the wallet will get damaged. Regardless if this is in a delicate setting, one will always see damage or two in the leather wallet. What is advisable is to mix gentle soap with water. Using a soft cloth, wipe the wallet clean. Continue to dry.
A high-quality wallet presents a majestic look. There are even some that, while thin, can still hold different credit and debit cards. Wallets can also hold a myriad of IDs.
These wallets bring with them durability. And they should be when washed and cleaned correctly.
When you don’t know how to clean a leather wallet, you run the risk of destroying its beautiful appearance. But with proper maintenance, you will be assured of its aesthetics for many years to come.
When it comes to wallets, nylon wallets are easier to maintain. But they lack the class and aesthetics of leather wallets.
One can throw nylon wallets into the washer, and it would be no problem.
On the other hand, leather wallets require a specific level of maintenance. Utmost care is certainly needed to maintain its appearance.
There are a few simple steps you can follow To maintain your leather wallet.
Remember that these steps are simple. They’re fairly routine and will not need much of your time. But doing so can help maintain the appearance of your wallet.
It will remove the dirt and get rid of the grime. All these and more accumulate into your leather wallet with daily use.
- Most leather wallets come with instructions. There are even some that supply you with acceptable and non-acceptable cleaners. One example is that there are wallet brands that discourage the use of alkaline cleaners. Examples of these are baby wipes. There are leather wallet brands that see these cleaners as culprits. This is especially in the maintenance of your wallets. Some brands also veer away from certain waxes and polishes. Suffice to say; it is always important to read the wallet’s instructions (if any). This is to ensure you maintain the wallet well.
- Every time you clean the wallet, there is an extra step you must do. Make sure to remove all your cards. The same is true when it comes to photos, cash, and other items. Ensure that they are out of the wallet before the cleaning procedures begin.
- At times, we may see stains on wallets. You can use a dry paper towel to remove these stains. Of course, one should do this while the stains are not yet dry. When the stains have already dried, you can dab a small amount of water on a paper towel or a soft cloth. Remove the stain by rubbing them with the damp paper towel (or soft cloth). You can also use a small amount of talcum powder to get rid of grease that’s on your wallet.
- As previously mentioned, washing the wallet by hand is the most recommended of all. Tossing it into the washing machine is not ideal. This is despite the delicate setting that some are so used to. This can still damage the wallet. Its constant movement inside the washing machine will eventually destroy the leather.
- When cleaning the wallet by hand, remember always to use warm water and a brand of gentle soap. Unscented soaps are ideal. There are occasions when using baby shampoo, and warm water works well. Use a soft cleaning cloth. What you are trying to attain here is a leather-free cleaning. But should there be a lather buildup, you can always remove them. Simply wipe it away with a second cleaning cloth. Make sure the second cleaning cloth is dry.
- When you are finally done with cleaning the wallet, you may now rinse it off. Use warm water when rinsing. Currently, there are times when some suds would remain on the wallet. You can wipe these away. Finally, pat the wallet dry. This should be able to remove any excess amount of water that is still in the wallet.
- Leave the wallet to dry. The area where you leave the wallet in should not have direct sunlight. It should also not be near a strong heat source. As you already know by now, excessive heat yields bad results when it comes to drying your wallet. This can cause the leather to be stiffer and wrinkle. Excessive heat can make your wallet unusable over time.
- Aside from regular cleaning your wallet, there is something else you should know. This is regular conditioning. The reason for this is because leather has natural oils. When you regularly condition your leather wallet, you maintain the quality. This is because conditioning supplies the leather with natural oil. It is this oil that your leather wallet loses over time. A leather’s horde of natural oils gets lost with exposure to elements. When conditioning, this should be done twice a year. Conditioning it once every six months would ensure the leather maintains its quality.
One need not go through long hours to maintain the quality of a leather wallet. With these simple steps, one would be able to use the wallet for years to come.
These are all simple steps. And these are steps that anyone can follow.